Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB), originally founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies, was renamed in 1926 as the Athens School of Economics and Business, a name that was retained until 1989 when it assumed its present name and status.
It is the third oldest Higher Education Institution in Greece and the oldest in the general fields of Economics and Business. Up to 1955 the School offered only one degree in the general field of Economics and Commerce.
In 1955 it started two separate programs leading to two separate degrees: in Economics and Business Administration.
In 1984 the School was divided into three Departments, namely the Department of Economics, Business Administration and Statistics and Informatics.
In 1989, the University added three more departments and from 1999 onwards, developed further and currently offers eight undergraduate and more than twenty postgraduate programs.
The University consists of eight Departments offering a B.A. or B.Sc. in the following fields:
- International and European Economic Studies
- Business Administration
- Marketing and Communication
- Accounting and Finance
- Management Science and Technology
The academic staff of the University consists of Faculty members, teaching and research assistants, foreign language lecturers, physical education instructors and humanities teachers. Requirements for a Faculty position include a Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) and published research. Faculty members are elected on the basis of their academic qualifications by Faculty members of the same or higher rank. They are assisted in their tasks by teaching and research assistants, many of whom hold Master's Degrees of Ph.Ds. Adjunct lecturers hold Ph.D. Degrees and teach specific courses depending on needs. Finally visiting Professors are regularly invited to teach.